Wednesday, October 7, 2009

jAiL...BzzzZZZ

Day 3:
Part 1; Des Moines, Iowa to Carthage, Illinois

Miles:196
Departed: 10:00 a.m.
Arrived: 1:00 p.m.




Every since we left Rapid City, SD there has been an extremely annoying buzzing sound. It would only get worse the faster we drove. We would try to drown it out with the radio, but still could not get over it*....

Today on our way to Carthage we stopped through Nauvoo to see the church history sites. All the tours were full, so we just did our own. It was so pretty! I had fun seeing where Joseph and Emma were buried. The Mississippi River is crazy big. It shouldn't be called a river, more like a lake to me. After Historic Nauvoo was the highlight of my day... {Carthage Jail}.

...*When we arrived in Carthage I had an idea of what this BzzZZzz was!! I told Casey we should try tightening one of the straps to the rack and tying it down a little different. I am a GENIUS. It worked! Now we no longer have to hear that BzzZZzz.

Words cannot do this place JuStIcE! Here are a few picture. Something I did not know was that after they were done using the building as a jail, people actually lived it in. People even lived in it when it was a jail. I dont know about you, but I would never want to live with inmates!!


Joseph Smith's Mansion

 

 
Nauvoo Temple Steps

 

 
Temple Grounds

 
Outside of Carthage Jail



The Dungeon



The room of the Marterdom



The hole in this door is from the actual bullet that killed Hyrum Smith






Part 2: Carthage, Illinois to Champaign, Illinois

Miles: 167
Departed: 4:30 p.m.
Arrived: 8:00 p.m.


Nothing too special about this particular part of the day. Lots and Lots of CoRn fEiLdS as far as the eye can see. The one lane road in this part of the drive made it go by a lot slower.

Hercules saw his first bunny. Yeah that was a bad time to not have a leash on him. He took off. He wanted that bunny so bad... I wish I had a video camera once again, but then I guess if I had one I probably wouldn't get it out at the right times anyway. :)

1 comment:

  1. That place is amazing! We went there a couple yrs ago and spent a week there. The spirit was so strong and to do babtisms for the dead in the nauvoo temple was something I will always remember.

    ReplyDelete